Daniel Payne of Oxford, Ohio, loves his 1948 Sterling HC 145. Mostly original, the truck is powered by a Cummins HB200 engine with a 4 X 3 transmission. Dan bought his truck in 2005 at the ATHS auction in Auburn, Indiana, and hasn’t had to do much to it to keep it in good condition. Although it runs well enough for him to drive to nearby shows, its top speed of about 35 mph means that the Sterling frequently rides on a trailer. Dan says that nearly everything on the truck still works well, but it could use some electrical work. Owning a piece of history motivated Dan to learn more about his truck’s background. Sterling trucks have a proud history. From 1907 to 1953 the Sterling Motor Truck Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, built serious workhorses, capable of hauling very heavy loads. Company founder William Sternberg originally named his company Sternberg, but because of anti-German sentiment during World War I he changed the name to Sterling in 1916. Sterling had some interesting overlap with other truck manufacturers when it acquired Fageol Truck and Coach Co. in 1938, and in 1939 sold the Fageol Truck division to Al Peterman. That, of course, was the beginning of Peterbilt Motors. Dan has taken his Sterling to a number of antique truck shows, where it always attracts plenty of attention. He enjoys the old truck hobby and also owns a 1964 Diamond T P4300, a 1949 Diamond T 201 pickup truck, and a 1954 Diamond T 950 that he is currently in the process of restoring.
John & Shirley Sponholtz have been involved with old trucks for over 20 years. Shirley was editor at Wheels of Time for 12 years before going out on her own and starting Old Time Trucks magazine in 2004. John is an avid photographer who enjoys taking pictures of odd and/or rare trucks (he provides most of the pictures for this article and their magazine). John & Shirley, who are from Richmond, Indiana, have been regular contributors to 10-4 Magazine since 2006.